Jump to Navigation

Employees can report illegal pay practices

When employers in New York and other states refuse to pay their workers what they are due, the wronged employees have many options. One potential form of resolution involves filing a confidential report with the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor. This body has the power to perform investigations that help it uphold the rules of the Fair Labor Standards Act . While some fact-finding missions are conducted at the WHD's own discretion and may involve multiple employers or companies, others are prompted by complaints.

Companies who fail to pay minimum wages or compensate their staff with overtime pay may be deemed liable for civil penalties of as much as $1,000 per instance. In serious cases, criminal prosecution and potential fines of $10,000 may result, and being convicted multiple times could land an employer in prison.

When an individual places an FLSA claim with the WHD, it is illegal for their employer to retaliate against them for it. Employees who want to submit complaints need to provide various data including their personal information and the name and location of the employer they believe wronged them. They also need to submit the names of their supervisors, the nature of their employment and records of the pay they actually received.

Being discriminated against by an employer can turn people's lives upside down. Individuals who face such unwelcoming work environments may find it difficult to perform their professional duties or deal with basic functions. In cases where employment abuse involves wage disputes, people can even become disillusioned as they find themselves saddled with mounting financial challenges. Although agencies like the WHD provide mechanisms for pursuing justice, attorneys may be able to offer valuable insights on using these tools effectively.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe To This Blog's Feed

Nassau County Address
Richard V. Rappaport and Associates
1900 Hempstead Turnpike
Suite 200
East Meadow, NY 11554
Phone: 516-368-0409
Fax: 516-222-5262

Map and Directions

Suffolk County Address
Court House Corporate Center 
320 Carleton Ave.
Suite 6200
Central Islip, NY. 11722
Phone: 631-234-0660

Manhattan Address
112 Madison Avenue 
6th Floor
Manhattan, NY 10016

Facebook Logo google plus Twitter Logo linkedIn

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.

FindLaw Network